Monday, August 25, 2008

Baby Bedtime Blunder

I've heard lots of stories about babies that take off their diapers and smear poo all over the walls or the carpet or whatever. My own child has even taken his diaper off a couple of times, but he never got around to pooing or peeing anywhere before I discovered his nakedness and diapered him back up! Well, dun dun dun...that all changed today!

I usually put Mason down for his nap at 11:30, and he almost always falls right asleep. Well today my friend Rachel was over with her 2 kiddos just hangin out, and it was time for Mason's nap, so I put him to bed. 11:45 rolls around and I hear him over the baby monitor up there talking and making all kinds of noise, but he wasn't crying or upset or anything so I just left him in there. So here comes 12:30 and he's STILL awake, which is totally uncharacteristic of Mason. But he sounded happier than ever up there in his crib. After Rachel left, I decided to go try and rock him or something so he'd fall asleep. Right when I walk in, I hear him let out this huge giggle so I hurry over to the side of his crib to see him laying on his back, playing with his pee-pee and laughing. Well, I gotta say that it caught me so off-guard to see him naked that I just died laughing too!

So - here's what happened. He did everything he could to take off his diaper, but could only get one side un-taped, so the other side was just hanging there. He drank a cup of juice and a cup of milk before I put him down, so he'd peed everywhere...and he just thought it was hilarious that thought it was so funny, so he just laid there playing with his recent discovery (his male anatomy), laughing his little head off. It was way too funny (and unexpected) for me to get upset over...plus seriously, mommy takes off Mason's diapers, so in his head, he's probably wondering what the big deal is about him taking it off by himself. "Mommy, wow! I'm a big kid now" (song from pull-ups commercial).

*Sigh* I love life. I really needed a laugh today, so Mason must have sensed that. I'm glad he obliged.

5 comments:

April Leydsman Mason said...

I'm so glad I found your blog. Even though we live in the same town right now we will probably be better at keeping up with each other through this than we would via cell phone. Christian and I are horrible friends. So so sorry!!! Love your blog though. It's super super cute.

The Whitney's said...

This is a funny story, thanks for sharing with the rest of us. I'm so excited for you guys to come back home! Then i'll get to hang out with you more.

Jen said...

That's awesome! I caught Malia pulling off her diaper several times too. Only one time I had an issue...she'd pooped grabbed it in her hands, threw some in the toy box, then was about to take a bit of some more when I walked in the room. All in about the 30 seconds it took me to walk to the bathroom, turn on the water to fill up the bathtub, and walk back to get her. Luckily though I grabbed her hand before she got any in her mouth...Eeeww! Anyway, that's a way funny story! I need to relax a little more with my kids and enjoy moments like that.

Bronwyn said...

Oh that's so funny! I'm sorry you had a mess to clean up though! That makes it a little less funny...

Chet and Stephanie said...

Ok I tagged you, read my blog!