Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Uh-may-zing!!

After putting on my favorite pair of jeans yesterday and having a minor case of "muffin top" (translation: side fat spilling over the sides of the jeans), I decided that I'm cutting all crappy food out of my diet! None of this "I can only have sweets on the weekends" stuff. I'm only allowing myself a treat during special occasions, and even then I'm only allowing myself to have one thing. Period. My body doesn't need that stuff.

SO the first major step was taken tonight. We had a very healthy dinner - chicken and veggie/fruit kabobs! Here are the ingredients and instructions if you're interested! WE LOVED IT!! And it made 12 very full kabobs, so if you're feeding a small family, you'll probably have leftovers, which is never a bad thing, right?!

Ingredients:
1 whole pineapple
1 large green pepper (add a red and yellow pepper for more color IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT! Peppers are so expensive now!)
1 large zucchini squash
Mushrooms (I bought the little package of pre-cut mushrooms. Much easier)
3 boneless chicken breasts

Marinade for veggies:
1/2 cup Red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil (could even reduce to 1/8 cup if you want)
1/2 tbsp garlic powder (more or less depending on personal preference)
Hand-ground black pepper (amount also depending on preference)

Marinade for chicken:
Zesty Italian salad dressing (I buy generic)

Instructions:
Cut up the pineapple and set aside - don't marinate it (don't get rid of the pineapple juice on the cutting board. Just cut your veggies on top of the juice). Cut up all the veggies and put them in the veggie marinade, then add the pineapple juice that was left on the cutting board. I let the veggies marinate in a gallon size ziplock baggie for 4 hours.

Cut up the chicken into large cubes (i like mine pretty big), then put in a separate gallon size baggie with as much Zesty Italian dressing as you want. Let it marinate as long as you let the veggies marinate.

Stack it all on skewers and grill! We actually don't have a grill, so we used the broiler pan in our oven and set the oven on "broil - high" for 14 minutes - 7 minutes on each side.

Enjoy!!

5 comments:

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

Sounds so good... I am definately making it! I love new recipes!

Jen said...

sounds good! I'll have to try it. We had this lesson a couple weeks ago in sunday school about word of wisdom, that made me think of junk food in a different way. We talked about how too much of anything isn't good for you...and to eat in moderation, etc etc. So in a way, eating too many sweets or whatever could also be considered breaking the word of wisdom. Anyway, it's something I'd never really thought about, but makes me want to cut out all the junk that I eat too! You're doing a good job!

Kelly O. said...

Mmm! Can't wait to TRY and be healthy! Can you post all your dinners you make for every night of the week? Oh and lunches and breakfasts too would be nice :) It was so good to see you and I'm so excited about your blog!

Bronwyn said...

One thing you need to look out for when it comes to store-bought salad dressings is that there are usually packed with sugar, and/or high fructose corn syrup and preservatives...But besides that, that recipe looks great! :)

TheBaumanns said...

Thanks BW! I never would have thought to look at salad dressing for SUGAR! Thanks for the input.