Friday, May 16, 2008

Peacock, anyone?

Well, of all the weird things to ever happen to me, I think tonight might top the list. I was driving home from a quick trip to Roberts (a craft/scrapbook supply store) - keep in mind that it's 9:00 and pretty dark outside - when all of a sudden I see A PEACOCK on the road right in front of my car. I was on the freeway going 70 with a semi in the lane to the right of me, and nowhere really to swerve. I swerved just a tad to the left, causing the poor bird to go under my tire, which ended up being a good thing for my car. No damage. Not such a good thing for the bird. I contributed to pushing the peacock species closer to endangerment.

But seriously, why on earth is there a peacock roaming free in SAINT GEORGE, UTAH? I mean come on! On the freeway? So strange.

So anyhow, the best part happened when I pulled over to make sure the bumper of my new car was okay (and that there weren't any bird parts hanging off the undercarriage). Some nice guy stopped to make sure I didn't need any help, and when I told him what happened he looked at me like I was on drugs. He was like, "You hit a what?"
Me: "Yeah, mister. You heard correctly. I hit a peacock. I'm fine. My car's fine. Thanks for stopping."

Anyway, I guess I shouldn't complain about how mundane and boring my days can be, or I might hit a rhino next time I go for a drive in the outback of St. George!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That has got to be the most bizarre story of roadkill I've ever heard! I'm glad you and your car are ok though. Sorry about the peacock, but you're right...what on earth?! :)

Jenn said...

Are you sure it was a peacock? I mean, peacocks are huge birds! Ryan thinks it was a roadrunner...I'm not sure whose side to take on this one.

TheBaumanns said...

I've never seen a roadrunner that was as long as the front of my car and had huge feathers. I mean, it was dusk, but it wasn't dark. I could see it clearly. It was def. a peacock - and Jeff and I saw it dead on the side of the road the next day.

Jenn said...

Well, if you saw it in broad daylight, then I guess that means I'm taking your side on this one. :)

TheBaumanns said...

Sheri - 1. Ryan - 0. :)